Where CPAs Work
CPAs in this area have the opportunity to work in a wide array of positions in federal, state and local governments. Government agencies must have accurate data in meaningful form for evaluating the financial results of their activities and planning for the future, and CPAs are one of the most important tools they use.
There are numerous departments and agencies in which CPAs can work within the government, including:
- Treasury, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Justice, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health & Human Services, Housing & Urban Development, Transportation, Energy, Education, Veterans Affairs, Library of Congress, Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, General Services, Federal Bureau of Investigation and NASA.
- Department of Treasury and the Department of Defense employ the most CPAs
Average salaries for Government accountants and auditors:
- Federal executive branch - $79,340
- Local government - $52,420
- State government - $49,100
Source U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics