Mentor Information and Responsibilities
Who Makes a Good Mentor?
INCPAS Scholars mentors are highly passionate CPAs and CPA Candidates. In general, they are at the beginning of their career and can offer advices on everything from what it takes to be successful in college to navigating the CPA profession. INCPAS Scholars mentors can hold a conversation, are great listeners and are able to commit to the program for the year. It’s essential that mentors are up to the challenge and passionate about their role as a mentor.
We understand work and life makes CPAs busy, and we try to keep that in mind as we progress through the Scholars program. In general, we ask mentors to:
- Send at least one email and two text messages to their Scholar per month.
- Have a conversation over the phone at least once a month.
- Meet their Scholars for lunch or coffee at least once a semester.
- Attend at least three INCPAS Scholars events.
- Give a presentation at their Scholar’s school about the INCPAS Scholars program and the CPA profession. Their Scholar will assist with the presentation and INCPAS staff will work with the school to coordinate a presentation time.
- All mentors will be expected to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and complete a background check prior to being matched with a student.
Since this is an Indiana CPA Society program, Society membership is a requirement of all mentors. If the selected mentor is not an active INCPAS member, they will be invoiced at the first-time member rate of $150 prior to the Welcome Dinner.